Friday, November 11, 2011

Depression Used To Rule My Life!

Most people wouldn’t believe me if I said that I used to be medicated for depression, but I was!


My “Happy Pills” were Citalopram… and my “Sleepy Pills” were Tamazopam. I hated taking pills. I felt weak. I felt like a failure. I felt like giving up at times, and by that I mean… completely giving up. Now, however, I’m happy, I’m in love with life, I have an amazing relationship, I love what I do… and I love who I am.From Depression to Happiness


 


As I’m writing this blog post, I’m feeling a little exposed, but I think that it’s time to “come out of the closet” so you get that I’m not perfect, I never have been and I never will be. I’m not getting down on myself. I’m just being real…I’m just being Liz Benny.


The idea of writing this blog came from some feedback I received from a person who visits www.TogetherBeHappy.com regularly… and was confused about how I could always be so happy. You see, it’s not that I’m always happy… It’s just that see things differently now than when I was depressed. For example, I used to focus on how crappy my life was compared to others, who seemed to have it all. They were beautiful, rich, had cooler parents (sorry mum and dad) and had endless opportunities in life. I, on the other hand, was poor, fat, ugly and incredibly confused about what life was all about. I can’t believe how mean I was to myself now that I actually write that!


I also used to think that I’d never be happy, rather that I’d always be depressed. Sound familiar? If it does, please read on.


It’s been a long road to get to where I am now. I’ve learnt a crap load about myself… mostly, I’ve just learnt to accept myself for who I am. In doing so, I see my world through a different set of lenses. I see opportunities. I dance in the mall when I feel like dancing (I did that this morning actually), I hug random people in cafes (I did that yesterday and I taught a client of mine how to really hug people) and I smile at strangers, just because I want to make them smile.


Life is truly awesome now… In saying that though, I’m incredibly grateful for my years of depression. They’ve made me hungry for change. They’ve made me hungry to help spread happiness throughout the world. That’s why I’m doing this thing called TogetherBeHappy, it’s why I coach and as exposed as I may feel, that’s why I’m writing this.


I truly believe, in my heart of hearts, that humanity can be happier. My goal is 10,000,000 happier people … The ball is rolling.


Liz Benny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment